Monday 9 July 2012

Baking with lemons



It is winter. During winter, I often feel like eating. I like fat and sugar. Recently I have been feeling a little deflated about the garden. Possums have been having a lovely old time munching on my broccoli, lettuce, silverbeet, kale, parsley...and the list goes on. So, what to do when you are feeling a little de-motivated. Turn your energies to other pursuits, such as crafts and cooking.

Today, my lovely friend Emily came over. We met in primary school, in Mrs Chalmers' 4C, Em was new to the school and we instantly struck up a friendship. While my parents worked in the cafe, Em and I would walk to her house to play with our barbies, play travel agents or have pretend cooking shows. She is one of my oldest and dearest friends. At the ripe old age of 22, we can say that our friendship has lasted for over ten years.

Today, we did a spot of gardening, some walking and chatting and some cooking. We had loads of lemons (found from a lemon tree somewhere nearby), so we decided to bake a lemon slice. However, this isn't just any lemon slice, oh know. This is my mum's lemon slice and that means, it is pretty good. Now, everyone usually thinks their mum is the best cook in the world. I think my mum's cooking is pretty awesome but her cake baking skills are second to none. My parents used to own a cafe when I was younger and my mum baked all the cakes so she had a fair bit of time to practice...baking 4-5 cakes every couple of days. My mum's lemon slice was pretty popular, so Emily and I decided to give it a red hot go. Oh and it tasted pretty de-lish!

My mum's delicious lemon slice



Ingredients:

for the base
250g butter, softened
1 cup icing sugar
2 cups plain flour

for the top
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
juice from 4 lemons
2 tbsp plain flour

Method:
1. Line a baking tray (I used one that is about 31cmx21cm) with baking paper
2. Combine butter, icing sugar and flour in a blender until it full combines into a ball.
3. Press this mix into the tray until it covers the surface of the tray. Cook in oven on about 160 degrees until the top begins to slightly brown.




4. Using the blender, combine sugar, eggs, strained lemon juice and 2 tbsp plain flour. Blend until combined and pour over the base.



It is very important to taste the mixture, you know, just to check it's not poison or  anything! 

Note: do this step whilst waiting for the base to brown up. If you do this and are still waiting for the base to brown up, give the mix another blend before you pour over the base, as the sugar will have settled to the bottom. 
5. Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes and check on the slice. It should feel firm to touch. 


The slice is ready! It is firm to touch and now leave it to cool so it is easy to cut up. 
A very civilised afternoon tea.





2 comments:

  1. Oh yum! I haver a serious lemon glut at the moment and have just found a very good way of dealing with it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh that looks delicious! Lemons are the best; I will definitely give this recipe a try ASAP.

    ReplyDelete